Broccoli and cheese sauce is a foolproof way to get kids to eat vegetables. This cheese sauce recipe is good with any vegetable that you want your kids to eat.
6 cups broccoli florets
1. Put a steam basket into a pot and add one inch of water.
2. Place the broccoli in the steamer, cover and bring to a boil.
3. Turn the heat to simmer and cook for 7–10 minutes until bright green and just tender.
3 Tblsp. butter
3 Tblsp. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 ½ cups milk
1 cup grated Cheddar or other cheese
½ cup Parmesan cheese
1. Melt butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add flour and salt and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
3.Using a whisk, gradually pour in milk, whisking constantly.
4. Turn heat to medium high and continue to whisk the milk and flour mixture until itis thick and bubbling.
5. Add cheeses and stir until they are melted.
6. Serve over broccoli or any other kind of vegetable.
This cheese sauce is also good over pasta.
For more tips, see Get Your Kids to Eat Vegetables.