Pecan pie crust is a good choice for pumpkin, sweet potato, and pecan pies.
Sweet Potato Tarts
Makes 18 tarts
1 double recipe of pecan pie crust (below)
1 1/3 cups milk
3 eggs, beaten till frothy
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1-1/2 cups baked and pureed sweet potato (1 to 2 sweet potatoes)
1 tsp. vanilla extract18 pecan halves
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare the pecan pie crust.
3. Roll the pastry out and using a cookie cutter or jar lid with a 3 ?” diameter cut out 18 circles.
4. Place the circles into muffin pans and bake for about 10 minutes.
5. While the tart crusts are cooling, beat together the pureed sweet potato, eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla.
6. Using a ladle or small measuring cup, pour the filling into each tart shell.
7. Top each one with a pecan half.
8. Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes until the filling has puffed nicely and the crust is golden brown.
9. Allow to cool completely before serving.
Pecan Pie Crust
Makes one single 9" pie crust. This pie crust does not get soggy easily and is great for pumpkin, sweet potato, and pecan pies.
3/4 cup pecan halves
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup frozen butter
3 Tbsp. ice water
1. Grind the pecans in a food processor.
2. Add the flour, sugar, and butter, and process until it begins clumping together.
3. Add water by the tablespoon and process until the dough comes together into a ball.
4. Chill the pastry for a half-hour before rolling out and again before filling and baking.
Learn how to make perfect homemade pie crust.